Whether you enjoy winter or desire the warmer months in Kearney, a lot of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that should be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it must be replaced. We suggest at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can fix temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The professionals at Thurston Heating & Air Conditioning can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Thurston Heating & Air Conditioning in Kearney a call to begin. Give us a shout at 308-624-3485 or book an appointment with us online.