On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how regularly your air filter has been replaced, to name some—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Thurston Heating & Air Conditioning in Kearney about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the period of time between professional cleanings.
First and foremost, schedule routine HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Thurston Heating & Air Conditioning. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Thurston Heating & Air Conditioning about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters regularly and changing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not need changing.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that allow dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Kearney home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Thurston Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 308-624-3485.