While winter seems like it’s already been going on for much too long, its influence on our heating bill is just beginning. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially lower those costs. That’s why we’ve jotted down a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To begin reducing your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a buzz at 308-624-3485. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Kearney weather.